- Kubuntu 8.04
- Kaffeine PLayer 0.8.6
- VLC media player 0.8.6e
- choose to install your favourite player, Kaffeine or VLC:
for Kaffeine: # sudo apt-get install kaffeine
for VLC: # sudo apt-get install vlc libvlc0 libvlc0-dev
This will install the player and also depending recommended libs.
- install dvd and encryption libs:
# sudo apt-get install libdvdread3 libdvdcss2 regionset
- DVD video discs may be encoded with a region code restricting the area of the world in which they can be played. Therefore DVD players need to have a specified region to be set. To detec if your players has a region set, insert any dvd without (!) encryption and run regionset:
The output should contain something like that:
fengel@D630fengel:~$ regionset regionset version 0.1 -- reads/sets region code on DVD drives Current Region Code settings: RPC Phase: II type: SET // <--- region set vendor resets available: 4 user controlled changes resets available: 4 drive plays discs from region(s): 2, mask=0xFD // <-- your region (see wikipedia link below) Would you like to change the region setting of your drive? [y/n]:
This means a region is set and you can exit regionset without changes and proceed to step 4.
If there’s no region set, then continue setting your region. Here’s an overview about DVD region settings: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_codes#Region_codes_and_countries
Now go on and set your region.
- install css decryption:
# sudo /usr/share/doc/kaffeine/install-css.sh
- for Kaffeine:
Open Kaffeine > Settings > xine Engine Parameters > Select “Media” section > Select the “Expert Options” tab > Change”CSS decryption method” from “key” to “title”.
- for VLC: no addtional settings needed.
- Restart your system.
- Insert an encrypted DVD and wait until it’s detected by the system. In some case this may take a while. It differs depending on the DVD drive manufacturer. (on my HP nx7400 it was much faster than on my Dell D630)
- When the DVD is detected open your favourite player and enjoy the movie!
You’re currently reading “Howto play encrypted dvd with kaffeine or vlc”, an entry on ORATECH_blog
- Frank Engel
- 05.10.08 / 1:14
- Post Navigation:
- « Howto make screenshots including mouse pointer and expanded menus on linux
Ubuntu 8.1: configure synaptics touchpad »
- Related posts: